Researchers at Rutgers University and Tennessee State University who ordered and tested hundreds of meat, poultry, game and seafood items from home delivery systems such as meal kits found disturbing results relative to cold-chain integrity, packaging, labeling and pathogen loads on some of these food items. Of consumers interviewed, 95 percent believed these products to be safe. However, many of these food items arrived as unexpected gifts, increasing the likelihood the products might sit outside for eight hours or more before being opened and refrigerated. Only 5 percent of the deliveries the researchers received specifically require a signature upon delivery. Hallman said while delivery services such as Fedex, UPS and the U.S. Postal Service specifically disclaim responsibility for the integrity of perishable products, the vendors shipping through them also often disclaim responsibility if their products are delivered on the day they were promised.Further, he said only 42 percent of vendors surveyed provide any food safety information on their websites and, when they did, it was hard to find and often inaccurate.
It’s been a tough sales season for the Washington apple industry. Not as tough as 2014, when a record crop tanked prices, but still bad enough that it’s “not sustainable,” a leading marketer says.Red Delicious apples, selling below break-even, are still 29 percent of the 2016 crop and need to be more like 15 to 18 percent, says Tim Evans, general sales manager of Chelan Fresh Marketing.Reds and Gala make up more than 50 percent of the crop. Prices of both have fallen to less than profitable levels because it’s the second-largest crop in history.The crop was forecast in early August at 132.9 million, 40-pound boxes. The estimate peaked at 137.9 million boxes on Dec. 1 and now is back down to 132.8 million as of May 1. The number is adjusted from the start of packing in August through the year-long sales season, primarily for storage cullage.National fresh apple stocks were 16 percent larger on May 1 than they were a year ago, according to U.S. Apple Association.
For the first time in 20 years, salmonella is not the leading cause of foodborne illness. Campylobacter is the new number one germ that gave Americans food poisoning in 2016, according to the CDC.
There’s yet another reason to enjoy eggs. Months after a study showed eggs reduce strokes, cardiologists in the British Journal of Sports Medicine discovered eggs, butter and other sources of saturated fat do not clog arteries. The new culprit is inflammation, more specifically, sugar which leads to inflammation. For people who have a sweet tooth, this is not good because sugar is not easy to recognize in some foods. Foods high in carbohydrates, such as white bread, may actually be full of sugar as the stomach turns certain types of carbohydrates into sugar. Inflammation can also be caused by Trans fats and Omega-6 fats, according to Lorie Johnson of CBN News. Trans fats or hydrogenated oils and also highly processed oils found in vegetable oils should be kept at a minimum.Omega-3 and Omega-6 should be consumed in equal amounts, according to Authority Nutrition, which is another reason to eat eggs as they are rich in omega-3. Americans prefer foods rich in Omega-6 fatty acids, but those types can create inflammation which can only be combatted with the other type of fatty acid.
China’s largest dairy is in talks to buy America’s No. 1 organic yogurt company, Stonyfield Farm, the New York Post has learned. Yili Industrial Group Co. has bid around $850 million to buy the Danone-owned Stonyfield and is now considered a favorite in the auction, two sources close to the process told The Post.
Seventy-one investors worth a combined $1.9 trillion are working together to put pressure on the world's largest food companies to "future-proof" their supply chains by bringing more meat alternatives to market. Founded in 2015, the FAIRR (Farm Animal Investment Risk and Return) initiative aims to make the food supply chain more sustainable by promoting plant-based foods, while also helping investors cash in on a lucrative new business. The substitute meat market is expected to climb 8.4% annually over the next three years, reaching $5.2 billion globally by 2020, according to Allied Market Research .
Organic milk is widely available these days, but what does that label really mean? A new investigation from The Washington Post found that there are considerable differences between the organic milk you can buy in a grocery store and the kind you can buy straight from farmers. Peter Whoriskey investigated the Aurora Organic Dairy, which supplies house-brand organic milk to many large retailers and other large dairy operations. He joined NPR's Scott Simon on Weekend Edition Saturday to talk about what he found out from his investigation. We tested them chemically, and you can see from the results how much time a cow has been eating pasture, which is what organic cows are supposed to be doing. And you could see, you know, conventional milk was very low in the grass-fed department. And some of the organic milk, especially ones from very small farms, was quite high. The larger corporate organic milks were sort of in the middle. And there was one large organic producer that was actually almost identical to conventional milk.
Tyson Foods said the company’s entire line of retail chicken products will be sourced from birds raised with no antibiotics ever (NAE), making Tyson a leading provider of chickens raised with no antibiotics.
Animal rights groups have been successful in pressuring many of the top food companies and restaurant chains to adopt stricter animal welfare policies, such as cage-free eggs and gestation stall-free pork.One notable exception is Domino’s Pizza, based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which has stood its ground in the face of extreme pressure from animal activists.Domino’s spokesman Tim McIntyre tells Brownfield their philosophy is simple: Farmers know best.“We will never tell a farmer how to farm. We will never tell a rancher how to raise his or her animals,” McIntyre says. “What we believe is they’re the experts. They have the most vested interest in raising their livestock. It’s not just a job, we recognize that. It’s a life and we appreciate that—and we’re not afraid to stand up and say it.”Even though the “extremists”, as McIntyre calls them, have pushed hard, he says Domino’s will not cave.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is thinking about using sensor technologies to track how much detergent a family has used or when milk is about to expire, according to a patent application made public, a sign the retailer is exploring new ways to fend off Amazon.com Inc.